Saturday, March 19, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday #7



Welcome to this week’s Six Sentence Sunday post! (Visit the other fab writers here.) I continue to post from Blowing Embers, the second chapter in The Embers Series, a paranormal romance/epic fantasy, set to be released this summer. 

Last week Kiera, en route to her apartments with two precious bottles of her favorite wine, stumbled into the middle of a fight between a shapeshifter and a mid-level mage. A blow she didn't see coming knocked her down. After a tussle with a shifter, she’s righted the wrongs and made her way to the manse, where she’d hoped to sneak back to her apartments and change before a grand dinner. Unfortunately for our heroine, however, a naughty ex-beau finds her as she walks in the door . . .


“My lady Kiera,” Chanda smiled, and kissed her hand as regally as if she didn’t have spatters of blood coloring her face, an eye that had nearly swollen shut, and a broken bottle clasped tightly in her other fist. 
And still it took every ounce of self control she could summon not to peel his hand off hers. She had expected to feel rage, and maybe fear when she next saw him, but instead simple embarrassment wrapped her tightly inside a shawl of unease. In lieu of reacting, she hoped anyway, she pasted on her most meaningless smile. “Chanda.”
His eyes crinkled as he smiled, and she wondered whether his heart held humor at her appearance, or something more malignant.

32 comments:

  1. Oh, shove his darn face in the snow! You know how I feel about that man! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight! I'm with Pippa. I hope she gets her revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a broken bottle in her hand. Perfect to slap him upside the head!
    Newish to #sixsunday, I haven't read the snippets with him in it, but I get a definite sense of menace from this passage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhh, the picture with this is giving me ideas! I wonder if the thing I mentioned last week is happening to our leading lady. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gather from the other comments this character is not well loved. Well maybe there is another point of view ? perhaps not - characters will do what they will

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everybody, for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great six--love the broken bottle, and her restraint in not using it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your imagery here is vivid and wonderfully done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to find out what she does with that bottle!! grrr. Great descriptive six.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang, I hate it when you lose a good bottle of wine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I particularly enjoyed this bit. "...simple embarrassment wrapped her tightly inside a shawl of unease..." Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'simple embarrassment wrapped her tightly inside a shawl of unease'--I enjoyed the imaginary these words convey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm intrigued. When did you say the release date is?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lianna: summer. We don't have a firm date yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go on and break the rest of the wine bottle over his head. Then again he might not feel a thing. Love the six

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great imagery! This Chanda is intriguing and a bit creepy. My fave line is "simple embarrassment wrapped her tightly inside a shawl of unease"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shawl of unease! Great image. Love a feisty heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab descriptive writing... she's got great restraint :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely writing...great imagine! LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have great imagery! Fantastic six.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good tension. Love that she's still holding the broken bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the meaningless smile. Nothing puts down the other party harder than a smile that means nothing. Love the way this is coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like she's in control. Your details paint the picture vividly.

    Great six!

    gem

    ReplyDelete
  24. love it - especially 'shawl of unease." awesome imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lots more going on here, between the lines! Great tension.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That broken bottle is such a perfect weapon ... I'm honestly surprised that she doesn't make good use of it, but perhaps she has other things (and her status) on her mind. Great descriptions and bah to Chanda! Yeugh ...

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm a bit late to comment, got my edits in on my debut novel so I got all excited. I just wanted to add that your voice, pace, and powerful imagery tell me within a few lines that I want to read more, alot more. Between a jagged weapon in hand, a guy who obviously caused her grief in the past, the lovely flow of words, I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete