Saturday, March 26, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday #8


Welcome to this week’s Six Sentence Sunday post! (Visit the other fab writers here.) I continue to post from Blowing Embers, the second chapter in The Embers Series, a paranormal romance/epic fantasy, set to be released this summer. In fact, as of today, the cover is finished, and now it's time to start soliciting blurbs. (If you're an author and are willing to write one [I'll do the same for you in exchange!], let me know! My email is lauri AT lauriowen DOT com.)

        And now for the setup to this week's snip:
Earlier, Kiera, now governor of Fairbanks, was en route to her apartments with two precious bottles of her favorite wine when she stumbled into the middle of a fight between a shapeshifter and a mid-level mage. A blow she didn't see coming knocked her down. After a tussle with a shifter, she’s righted the wrongs and made her way to the manse, where she’d hoped to sneak back to her apartments and change before a grand dinner. Unfortunately for our heroine, however, Chanda, a naughty ex-beau, found her as she walked in the door, and asked to speak to her about something important. She is about to defer, but now she’s become aware that others have noted her disheveled appearance. Marco is her dear friend, but the others are decidedly not people she would term allies.


Marco’s face held suppressed mirth, true amusement most likely at her disheveled appearance, and she wanted to slap him. Both Allie and Leith avoided her eyes, but Naga openly gaped, and she found herself wanting to slap them all as well. This night was not going well, and it wasn’t going to get any better. Laszlo was going to be really mad when he found Chanda here. And, yeah, he wouldn’t be terribly pleased that she’d fought, either. Kiera heaved a sigh.



43 comments:

  1. Yep I am early lol - getting more and more interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely trouble ahead. I'm confident Kiera can handle it, but what is is it? Intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...she found herself wanting to slap them all as well."

    I really like Kiera. She's got sass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing as always. I look forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like quite a predicament!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, she's in the midst of people she'd like to slap. I want to read more and know what happens.

    Great six!

    gem

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh-oh. Definitely messy. Would like to see how messier when Laszlo finds out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The proverbial poo is about to hit the fan and I don't think our leading lady will be anyone's whipping post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very intriguing! Would love to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting characters! Eager to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love a take-charge, feisty heroine. Intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's definitely got anger issues

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dunno if I think she has anger issues. lol. Maybe if she had actually slapped them I could agree. Anyway, thank you all for the comments! I'll be visiting you all very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great six and congrats on the release! I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. But what happened to the wine? Or is she wearing it? Marco's mirth is amusing but it seems the attention of the others--or maybe their inattention--is not as friendly. What a situation to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm loving this!!! Yup, need to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like she's having a very bad day and needs to hole up in bed--with her wine, of course! Good six:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a lecture's a coming. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Someone's in trouble and that's spelled with a capital T

    ReplyDelete
  20. You do such a good job of mixing emotion with showing. You make it look seamless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Uh oh! Nice set up; now I bet the sparks are gonna fly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great! I know what she's feeling and the dread of what she has to deal with is palpable! Congrats on the release!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like trouble brewing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lol! Amazing snippet. Definitely makes me want to read more of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mama said there'd be days like this... ;) Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  26. And the plot thickens! I love where this is going and all the tension. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can really feel her frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This girl is having some night. Love the visual of all these guys gawking at her. Great show of her frustration, and oh yes, I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Definately not having a good time! I want to know if she slaps them or not.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved this! ""wanting to slap them all" says so much! I've been there before!

    ReplyDelete
  31. At this point, she'd probably be better off returning home and drinking the wine herself! A night that bad is only getting worse... :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Interesting... can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Kiera's really having a bad day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love those six sentence Sunday posts. So fun. Good job. I'm curious as to how the self-publishing business has been for you. I'm looking into it a bit myself, but have no idea what to expect or anything. Curious to learn more.

    Consider yourself stalked. You've been added to the BEST DARN BLOGS EVER! file so I will be back to stalk you later (after I get back from Hawaii).

    ~Angela Scott

    ReplyDelete