Sunday, April 15, 2012

Life on Mars


Life has been discovered on Mars. 


Well, finally.


Ten years ago, I would have whooped. Twenty ago I would have stood, mouth agape. 


But thirty-something years ago I would have simply nodded. Of course there's life on Mars.


From as far back as I can remember, my dad used to lead me outside after darkness fell to show me the shapes that stars made, and the planets that slid through them, and he would point out the tiny pinprick galaxies that we are lucky enough to see from our poor planetary perch. With the patience of a saint, he fielded my stream of questions about the nature of the Milky Way - and through the years he filled my growing mind with more facts than it could fully comprehend.


He was a cop with a penchant for astronomy.


What my mind did understand, however, was how stupid the radio DJ was that one day when he announced to the entire world that there couldn't be life on Mars. 


I couldn't have been ten years old. And even then I knew that life could be anywhere - anywhere - only different than here because of the differences there.


Roger - staring out at Earth imagining me.
I even had an imaginary friend when I was small, a boy named Roger who lived on the friendly red planet that my trembling finger traced across the sky night after night. I whispered my dreams to Roger, and told him not to fret - not to ever feel too lonely - because someday I'd come to visit him.


Well, as it turns out, Roger is a bacterium, but that is okay, really, because it isn't looking like I'll be able to make our rendezvous after all, and I really would hate to disappoint my oldest friend.


Who knew that he was real after all?


Well, me





2 comments:

  1. Poor Roger. At least someone believed in you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger and I believe in each other. :-)))

      Delete