Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Casting Keir

I've seen several authors doing this, but I originally posted this back in October 2010 after a fun discussion with my BFF Lauri about the actors we'd like to see play our main characters. This was six months before I got my contract for Keir, and more than a year before I finally had the cover art. We spent some considerable time discussing and surveying options of how we each saw Keir, and these are the results. Enjoy!


 Surfing the net for images gave me this one of a US musician whose face I 'stole'. It was the closest I had seen for the one that was in my head. To me, this is EXACTLY how Keir looked.





This, and the following photos are from a list of top 50 male actors that Lauri found, and that we researched heavily in a hunt for the perfect Keir. Yeah, research is a torturous thing! Milo Ventimiglia was the first.





Sean Maher. Another choice for the part. Firefly fans might find his face familiar. :) Let me know if you're getting bored yet....







Tom Welling was Lauri's first suggestion. And about the only one of these that I recognised, having watched one or two episodes of Smallville over here in the UK. Bit typecast tho?







This was (oddly) my husband's choice of actor for Keir. I was quite pleased that he chose Aidan Turner as the image he got from my descriptions of Keir, although not the one I would have chosen myself.












But this was the image that my publisher came up with for my cover. It probably isn't how I saw him in my head to begin with, but I adore it. (And strangely not too far off Aidan Turner either). So this is my Keir now. :)


Keir - a science-fiction romance available 7th May 2012 from Lyrical Press Inc:
http://www.lyricalpress.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=81&products_id=513
Blurb:
Outcast. Cursed. Dying. Is Keir beyond redemption?

For Keirlan de Corizi--the legendary 'Blue Demon' of Adalucien--death seems the only escape from a world where his discolored skin marks him as an oddity and condemns him to life as a pariah. But salvation comes in an unexpected guise: Tarquin Secker, a young woman who can travel the stars with a wave of her hand.

But Quin has secrets of her own. She's spent eternity searching through space and time with a strange band of companions at her back. Defying her friends' counsel, Quin risks her apparent immortality to save Keir. She offers him sanctuary and a new life on her home world, Lyagnius.

When Keir mistakenly unleashes his dormant alien powers and earns instant exile from Quin's home world, will she risk everything to stand by him again?

Book Trailer:


LINKS:
Twitter:  @pippajaygreen   http://twitter.com/pippajaygreen
Facebook:  Keir - Beyond Redemption (book page) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keir-Beyond-Redemption/114058821953752


So that was the shortlist for the male lead. Based on the images above, can you make any suggestions for actors you think might fit the role? If you let me know in the comments with your contact details, there's a $10 Amazon Gift Card (or UK/AUS equivalent) up for grabs to one lucky person. And if you hop over to my blog here from the 7th May there's a special release day prize available internationally. There's also a list of the tour dates and places, with copies of Keir to win, or you can jump straight to the Lyrical Press Inc site here where all new releases are 30% off for the first week. :)

19 comments:

  1. Oh, look - men! Sorry, did you say something? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao! I should have got more full-length body shots really. :-P

      Delete
  2. I never visualise...is that odd? I only ever get a vague, foggy impression of a visual image. But the impression stays with me, & if you say Keir, or Kiera, or Jayne Eyre....that same feeling of the impression comes back every time. I find pictorial visualisation of anything almost impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I think I understand what you mean. When I'm reading a book, I only have an overall impression of the person, or more so of a place. If someone says 'spaceship corridor' you kind of already have an idea of it but probably won't sketch in more that rough details of what someone's describing, like the colour and light levels maybe.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, this is interesting. When reading a book I'm with magicJickJack - I go with the author's description and have a vague impression of what the character is like - or if faced with the character on the cover, like Keir, I would use that as my visual.
    In writing my own characters, though, I am like you - I have certain people in mind - actors or images I've found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one reason I try not to detail descriptions too much - readers will make their own interpretation anyway, and that should be part of the experience.

      Delete
    2. I think this is the power of the written/spoken word over the visual image.....and why I usually prefer to read the book before I see a film. Your own gut instinct to a character or a situation is usually so much more broad, & instinctive, that I find film can be limiting. And I agree, Pippa, that making description too exhaustive can inhibit the 'flow' of the narrative. Really so looking forward to reading Keir in its entirety!

      Delete
  4. I think you should get the actor Jason Momoa or the actor from BBC being human Aidan turner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, having seen Jason as Ronon Dex (Stargate Atlantis), I think that's a good choice! :)

      Delete
  5. Hot - hot - hot! Wowzers! Any of those guys would be fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could have called them in to audition for real. :-)
      Thanks for hosting me, Lauri.

      Delete
    2. No prob. What happened to my page?

      Delete
    3. Never mind! Now it's working. How weird!

      In any case, you know I love hosting you!

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Lauri. And yeah, I noticed on one visit that half the comments disappeared, but the next time they came back. Just being a touch glitchy I think.

      Delete
  6. But surely Keir really is the guy on the cover??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is now! But I'm not sure if the actual model does acting. I should have posted another shot of him, actually. I've seen his entire portfolio, sigh... :-P

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. He's not bad. But I would make him shave. :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for everyone who stopped by and commented, and to Lauri for hosting me. The winner of the GC was Chantal - congrats!

    ReplyDelete